CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Book:  ★★☆☆☆
Cover:  ★★★★★


  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster (September 27, 2011)
  • Language: English

 Mara Dyer doesn't believe life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

 She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.

 She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.
  To tell you the truth, this book just really, really disappointed me. The beginning was so eerie and foreboding, and I was hooked. At first. After reading further, however, I quickly became confused. At first, it was a good confused. Then I was just sort of bewildered. At the end of the book, I was still confused, left staring that the acknowledgements page and trying not to scream. Many, many questions were raised during this book, and only a few were answered. I know that there is going to be a sequel, but I feel like all of the stuff that happened in this book could have been wrapped up in this book. I would have liked it better as a stand alone.

  One major thing that was disappointing to me is that, as soon as Mara meets Noah, the mystery goes to the back burner. Everything becomes about the romance. While I do love romance in my books, the romance isn't the only thing I wanted this book for. I wanted an eerie, creepy mystery, and I got that, at first. But soon, all attention was focused on Noah. I feel like the mystery and plot in this book had so much potential, but instead, the whole book went to the romance.

  Another thing is that I found myself skimming through paragraph after paragraph and finding that it was just filler and fluff. Now, I do think that filler and fluff is okay, if in the right place and not frequent. But in this book, it occurred way too often, and there was more of it than actual substance to the book. That really frustrated me, as I hate skipping because I feel like I'm missing things, but also hate having to dig myself out of a pile of filler.

  (Spoiler alert!) One thing I remember being off, though, is when Mara sees her earrings at the bottom of the tub, and then later finds them in her ears, well, that's not a symptom of her power. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but that sort of seems like the author was trying to play Mara off as very insane, and while doing that, forgot what Mara actually was. I don't know. Like the whole book, that was very confusing to me. Thoughts?

 Overall, this book wasn't my cup of tea. But, remember, this is my opinion, not yours. I know lots and lots of people have absolutely loves this book. I would maybe pick it up at the library and give it a try. Maybe you'll love it.
 
  However, even though I didn't really like the book, this trailer is AMAZING. Watch it.

1 Comments:

Katie (The Literary Files)

I literally *just* finished this book tonight and I'm so glad that I wasn't the only one that was a little underwhelmed with it. I had heard so many incredible things about it that I was just like 'ohh okay...' when I finished and you're so right about getting to the acknowledgments page and being confused. The thing with the earrings I didn't get either and I wish there was more mystery! You're so right about the filler and fluff, I had a hard time not skipping over passages so I could just get to the point. Sorry this is ramble-y, but I completely agree! Thanks for the honest review Riley! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know that someone here on planet Earth actually reads this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...